Student Life

Hello!

Where do I begin?

Well, I have been living in my university accommodation for a month now and I will definitely be the first to admit that I am a tiny bit homesick. I miss my mum, I miss my brother and I feel like a piece of my desiccating soul is being torn out whenever I think of my dog.

Here are some pictures of my room (which is a lot bigger than I expected, honestly):

I had to stand out my door to take this picture

All the essentials (like Sherlock)

Gotta love a pinboard

Let's just ignore the three energy drinks and general mess and pretend my desk is really organised

I'm currently drinking a £2.50 bottle of sparkling perry, blasting out "Never Gonna Give You Up", and contemplating exactly how my life became so lonely that people in my flat just expect me not to go out with them anywhere anymore. But, we'll skip past that and get to the juicy business.

It's only three weeks into my degree (a joint - I have decided that this was a very good decision on my part because the Criminology side is far more interesting than the Psychology side), and I've already fallen massively behind. It really didn't take me too long to become extremely depressive and not leave my room, unless it's for classes or to go shopping because my flatmate drags me out.

As you can see, life is going really well.

Everyone in my flat is scared of me, mainly because I have turned into my mum when it comes to cleaning the flat and not leaving plates and dirty pans everywhere constantly, and Andy believes that I eat extremely healthily - little does he know that I can scoff a packet of biscuits in one sitting when I am alone.

In typical student fashion, I am very quickly running out of money, mainly because Student Finance didn't give me the money that they said I deserve, so my mum is currently funding my expanding food expenditure. But also because I am actually going out and being social with the people in my flat - crazy right.

Last night, four of us went to Spoons and then Johnny, Ross and I went walking... until 2 am. I decided this morning, when I was in my lecture at 10am, that this was potentially a bad idea.

I do have to say though that, in some ways, just walking has become one of my favourite things to do at uni, especially if you don't have a time constraint. Just walking and talking, stroking a random cat on the street and feeling free was one of the best feelings I've ever experienced. Maybe it was the great company, maybe it was remnants of the two ciders and a Guinness I'd had only an hour before.

The night before that (when I had originally started writing this blog post), Johnny's brother (James) and his girlfriend (Lorna) travelled up to Aberystwyth and took us all on a night out. It was one of the best nights out I've ever been on, mainly because I paid for one pint of Guinness and entry to Pier Pressure. Everything else I had bought for me!

Although, I will say this now, I find it slightly disturbing that the only people I am able to attract are middle-aged men who enjoy staring at my arse all the time (or guys with girlfriends/fiancées). But that's a story for another day (aka never, amirite?).

As for the workload, I'm struggling. Today in a psychology lecture, Martine told us that we are supposed to be doing background reading so that we can start planning our essay (that's due on my birthday, by the way) and I immediately felt drained. I can barely keep up with the essential reading, let alone anything extra that I'm supposed to be doing.

If my mum was sitting with me now, she'd tell me to shut my mouth and stop complaining about the "struggles" of student life. I don't think she truly understands what it's like being so far away from home and everyone you care about (particularly my puppy). Then again, maybe she does.

Speaking of! Here are some really cute photos of my puppy, Sully, that are taken of him when he goes to his dog day care:





This one is a bit NSFW because he gets very excited and shows it in a way only people with willies can

Sometimes it's hard to remember that Sully is only 8 months old because he's like a bear


I think I might leave this blog post here for now, because I really need to read a chapter of a book for a Criminology seminar and, although the content itself really is very interesting and very easy to understand, the time it is taking me to read the necessary sections is becoming extremely long.

I'm going to try and aim to write another blog post next week because Sherlocked is on Friday (I am very, very excited), and, along with meeting all the guests, I get to see all of my friends (as well as other people that I've never had the pleasure of seeing before) again - it has been too long since I last saw Heather, let me tell you.

I'm also really excited to see the difference between last year's photos of me, and this year's photos of me. A lot of things have changed. I have my nose pierced, my second lobes pierced, I'm having my hair cut pretty short on Wednesday and I think I've lost a tiny bit of weight, but we'll see.

If everything goes to plan, I'll probably write that up Wednesday afternoon.

I hope that you're all having a nice day, and I will hopefully see you within the next week or so. Stay safe x

No comments